Re: Clarifying IETF process [Was: A private club]

2014-02-27 18:54:35
Theodore Ts'o <tytso(_at_)mit(_dot_)edu> wrote:

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 09:57:55AM -0500, John Leslie wrote:
Donald Eastlake <d3e3e3(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

] 3. Eighty Percent of Success is Showing Up
]...

We cannot reasonably hope to change human nature -- least of all by
writing one RFC -- but surely we can do something to ameliorate this
economic disincentive?

I've always thought this is a feature, but a bug.

   (Quoted without comment...)

The reality is that there are a huge numbers of net.kooks out there.

   Oh my! :^( :^(

It may be politically incorrect to say that, but it's true.

   Absolutely! Just count those Linux kooks!

   ;^)

So if you are trying to pariticpate remotely, it's possible, but you
have to be really, really good with your technical presentations,
your evidence, with sample implementations, perhaps a huge installed
base, etc.

   Umm...

   You're welcome to think that, if it makes you feel better...

(And funny that, if you have all of this, it's likely that some
company will be quite willing to fund you to show up to an IETF
meeting.)

   You're welcome to think that, too...

Other standards committees have other ways of filtering out kooks.

   "Born: 1968"... You must have been around in the 1990's...
Anyone who lived through Usenet should have learned _many_ ways to
filter out "kooks"...

...  Quite frankly, I find the IETF setup of requiring the investment
of in-person face time to be a far better way of solving the "how do
you filter out the koooks and make progress while still being open"
than what I've seen in other standards settings processes.

   But _my_ question is, why does the "IETF" need to filter out the
"kooks?"

--
John Leslie <john(_at_)jlc(_dot_)net>