Re: a radical idea

2014-03-09 06:02:19

What about moving IETF LC discussions / reviews to a dedicated list?

These are examples of targeted topics that come up for the general community to consider from time to time. The current question of how best to handle bullying and harassment is another example.

Whatever venue is used, we aren't very good at staying on point for such topics. Witness the sequence that the current thread is part of.

We tend to jump to whatever bright, shiny new item attracts a few folk next, rather than staying focused. Note that this tendency essentially enables a denial of service attack by posters; and whether the effect is intentional or not does not matter. It becomes the community's fault by not managing the discussion focus.

So I suspect that what we need is not a new venue but active facilitation/management of threads that need to converge on an explicit outcome.

Working groups often do this, with a facilitator (chair or someone else) maintaining an issues list, periodically doing a summary, and periodically offering their sense of the groups. (And yeah, in some cases that is a rough consensus assessment.)

d/
--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking