Security for various IETF services

2014-04-03 11:22:16

Hi all,

From time to time the issue of how to secure IETF services
comes up e.g. whether to turn on TLS for some IETF web server
or jabber or mail etc.

The most recent such was a request to turn on HSTS [1] for
the IETF web site, which I don't think we can do without
breaking old tools etc. Nonetheless we would like to turn
on things like TLS more often going forward as seemed to
me to be the outcome of a long thread on here late last
year.

So, the IESG are considering the following as an IESG
statement to offer some guidance about this:

"The IETF are committed to providing secure and privacy
friendly access to information via the web, mail, jabber
and other services. While most (but not all) data on IETF
services is public, nonetheless access to that data
should use best practices for security and privacy.
However, as there are numerous legacy tools that have been
built that require access via cleartext, the IETF will
continue to allow such access so as not to break such
tooling. New services will however generally only be made
available in ways that use security protocols such as
TLS."

If you have wordsmithing changes to suggest please just send
those to me or the iesg. More substantive comments should go
here I guess. I hope the only bit worth discussing (except
for the few folks who would rather we do none of this;-)
might be the last sentence.

A few weeks after any discussion here dies down I'll put the
resulting text on an IESG telechat for approval if that seems
like the right thing to do.

Thanks,

[1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6797