Re: Community Input Requested on Trustees' Intent to Renounce "IETF Secretariat" Trademark

2014-04-08 18:06:05
On Tuesday, April 8, 2014, Hector Santos wrote:

I don't see a legal issue or lost of trademark infringement protection for
the reason stated.  I would suggest that, if necessary, the IETF could
still legally list "IETF Secretariat" as a trademark <TM>, just not
registered (R)

Yes. However, I don't understand what is the real value of that
registered mark. I don't understand why it was started/continued in the
first place for such volunteering organisation. If IETF
community agree/identifies that there are some values, then we can find
alternatives. Mostly we only need the one IETF trademark.

AB