Re: DMARC from the perspective of the listadmin of a bunch of SMALL community lists

2014-04-13 15:29:01
Theodore Ts'o wrote:
On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 07:57:14AM +1200, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
Hold on though. At the moment the text says, among other things,

    Note that other groups may also distribute
    working documents as Internet-Drafts.  ...

We know this doesn't prevent marketing people from telling lies
about the status of a document, but the IETF doesn't do so.
Well, maybe someone like Miles should consider writing an I-D "DMARC
considered harmful", which advises users impacted by Yahoo's diastrous
implementation of DMARC to find another e-mail provider.

Perhaps the metaphorical swatting the nose of these other groups with
a newspaper will help encourage them to avoid abusing the IETF's
reputation in order to market their specification.

                                        - Ted

Hmm. Good idea. Though I think John Levine's piece pretty much IS "DMARC considered harmful" - just needs to be titled!
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg87153.html
Yahoo breaks every mailing list in the world including the IETF's

As are some of Hector Santos' posts to various lists, re. the recent debacle.

Both of whom are probably far more qualified to address the technical details (on this one, I can talk primarily from the perspective of operational pain, and having to deal with the fallout).

John, Hector - want to collaborate on a "DMARC considered harmful" Internet draft?

Miles