Re: DMARC: perspectives from a listadmin of large open-source lists

2014-04-14 16:02:46
Mike,

Thanks for the history lesson. It does seem to highlight some brokenness in the process, though.

Miles

MH Michael Hammer (5304) wrote:
First an introduction, I've been active in IETF email and email authentication
working groups (As well as in other forums) for quite a number of years but
have not been active in IETF from an organizational perspective. I was recently
given a heads up about the discussion on the IETF list and joined as well as
reviewed the archives related to this discussion. I recognize a number of
participants here from other arenas although the majority of participants are
not familiar to me. Full disclosure:

1)  I represent my organization as a member of DMARC.ORG but I do not speak on
behalf of DMARC.ORG;
2) My comments here unless otherwise specifically stated represent my own
opinions and are not a statement representing my employer.
3) While I currently moderate various mail lists, I do not administer them from
a technical perspective, although I have in the past.

I'd like to also provide to a blog post of mine on CircleID from 2009 -
http://www.circleid.com/posts/20090414_thoughts_on_future_of_email_authentication/
 as well as a response from Dave Crocker -
http://www.circleid.com/posts/20090422_thoughts_on_email_authentication_trust/.
I believe these are as relevant to the discussion today as they were back then
(pre-DMARC). There are not simple issues involved despite some of the
pronouncements I've seen and there are not likely to be simple solutions other
than local policy ones that work locally.

Additional Comments in-line.