Re: DMARC: perspectives from a listadmin of large open-source lists

2014-04-14 21:58:51
On 04/14/2014 05:03 PM, Dave Crocker wrote:
On 4/14/2014 3:27 PM, Doug Barton wrote:
What I AM suggesting however, and I realize that this is a hard pill to
swallow for many IETF'ers, is that IN THE GRAND SCHEME OF THINGS mailing
list traffic is inconsequential to large e-mail providers.

That view is popular, but it's quite wrong.

What /is/ true is that mailing list traffic by users of large mailbox
providers, through small, independent mailing list providers, is
probably negligible.  That's the category of primary victim of the
recent change.

Right, which is what we're talking about.

If all my message traffic is on internal only systems (such as the social networking you described) then I don't care what my transport mechanism is; mail, XMPP, or RFC 1419. It's not going out of my network, so I don't even need to use an Internet standard.

So getting back to solving the actual problem at hand ....

Doug