Re: DMARC: perspectives from a listadmin of large open-source lists

2014-04-14 19:46:03

On Apr 14, 2014, at 5:11 PM, Murray S. Kucherawy
<superuser(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

I don't have any idea how to retroactively fix all of that, and I suspect it
would be another rat-hole to try.  What I'd really like to talk about is
where we go from here.

Dear Murray,

Perhaps the IESG now has more of an open mind regarding risks associated with
an "authoritative"  domain responding to a query about a third-party domain
impacting the delivery of their users email.

I'll be happy to re-write the ATPS or ATP draft to offer a simpler, deployable,
and functional version able to support aggregated listings.  Brian has already
asked that this not be done as an individual submission.  It seems fruitless
trying to motivate bulk senders or large ISPs into addressing this problem.
This is something the "email community" needs to solve.  At most, it should
involve a simple reference to a ATP listing domain.

1) make use of existing authentication schemes, not just DKIM.
2) always generate consistent labels to ensure fewer community conflicts.

Regards,
Douglas Otis