Re: DMARC from the perspective of the listadmin of a bunch of SMALL community lists

2014-04-17 13:28:58
Ned,

I don't see this as a big technical problem. The engineering has been done. For the most part, not to over simplify, this was a battle between two camps:

   DKIM + POLICY (1st party author domain) framework
   DKIM + TRUST (3rd party signer domain) framework

DKIM is a trust model. It was unfortunate, by design, the Policy Semantics were pulled. The trust advocates "won the war" by finally making ADSP historic to make room for DMARC where the focus was mostly about Reporting. Even with ADSP, we were collecting information but it lacked the reporting part, unlike early versions of the policy proposals. But DMARC reporting was richer.

But this DMARC did have a similar handling logic it learned from SSP, DSAP and ADSP. It was odd but I presume the IETF believed DMARC p=reject will not be used as much as they strongly believed the equivalent ADSP dkim=discardable policy would never be used or honored, and if so, in a small insignificant way.

YAHOO changed that mindset and reality. Did they ever! In my book, as I always knew this lost of policy focus would have to be corrected some day. Yahoo has forced the issue. Policy wins.

To me, both TRUST and POLICY are needed.

POLICY is just a first level filter of the most obvious domain practice faults. After policy passes the test, the trust layer comes in. After all, for DKIM trust query to be activated, the signature must exist and be valid per specification.

But just with using trust, Yahoo could of used the signer domain as the DKIM specs wanted it to do in the first place to lookup some "trusted" whitelist or 3rd party service to see if the signer domain is a "good guy." It could of also accepted and quarantined the message allowing the user to white list the signer domain. Yahoo online mail UI can offer the user a "DKIM whitelist" input field. Yahoo can keep this to itself or it can create public ATPS records, if it makes sense.

DKIM also has the Agent or User Id (AUID), the i= tag in DKIM-signature, that can be used as some MLM signing method. I think we need to explore this again.

But ultimately, the author domain policies should be honored as the first layer check before trust can even come into play. That mindset needs to be accepted.

The hard part is going to be getting the same folks to change their tune about how the Author Domain fits in with DKIM specification. The DKIM abstract says:

   DKIM separates the question of the identity of
   the Signer of the message from the purported author
   of the message.

Impossible. I always wanted to know which "question" that was. 5322.From is the sole single technical requirement to be hash bound to the signature. There will always be an authorization relationship.

--
HLS