RE: Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-bfd-mib-17

2014-04-17 16:32:13
Hi Nobo,

This MIB contains many writable objects, so the authors should take note of
the IESG statement on writable MIB modules:

    http://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/writable-mib-module.html

I did not see this mentioned in the shepherd writeup.  If the OPS Area has
not been consulted, I strongly suggest doing so during IETF Last Call, e.g.,
starting with Benoit Claise (AD).

I remember seeing the statement from IESG, which I agree is a good direction
for new charter items. [This] BFD MIB, on the other hand, is almost 10 years
old, with several implementations already around. I highly suspect the WG will
not want to see *change of direction* at this point. With that said, let me
take this up with the AD and the Shepherd.

I have no problem with "running code" as a good reason to continue with
writable objects in this MIB; taking this topic up with your AD and Shepherd
should suffice.

I suggest that the authors recheck the entire MIB to ensure that every
object
or table that should be included in the security considerations section is
appropriately included.

I've gone through them. There are set of objects which really should not be
modified once a session is functioning. I've added this in the security
considerations section.

Good - thank you for doing that.

Everything else is fine with me, and I appreciate the prompt response.

Thanks,
--David