Re: Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-bfd-mib-17

2014-04-17 17:19:11
Sam,

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 03:11:15PM -0700, Sam K. Aldrin wrote:
%sam - If this MIB allows write access, do you/WG anticipate, any extension
to the MIB should also provide write-access as well? For example:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bfd-mpls-mib/ augments this base
MIB to support MPLS. It adds more confusion than solving the issue as base
MIB supports write-access, but augmented/ MIB extension doesn't.

As the BFD MIB authors were not supportive of write-access objects in the
MIBs, why to have them in the first place?

As noted in earlier mailing list chatter, there is some support for write
access in existing implementations.  Given the lack of significant detail
when pressed for the name of such an implementation, I'm suspecting smaller
vendor or internal implementation.  That's still sufficient to leave write
available.

Given that one of the original contexts of asking if we could remove write
was whether IETF was being asked to provide such a thing for MPLS-TP with
related impact on your extension MIB and the answer was "no", that shouldn't
be the main criteria.

My suspicion is that if we were to ship the base MIB with writeable objects,
we may be forced to consider similar things for the extension MIB(s).

-- Jeff