Re: DMARC from the perspective of the listadmin of a bunch of SMALL community lists

2014-04-18 17:35:31
On 04/18/2014 07:47 AM, Ned Freed wrote:
>> I said:
Rather than throwing up our
hands and telling the DMARC folks that we refuse to work with them
unless their solution solves the problem of our anachronistic use case
that that constitutes only a tiny percentage of their overall traffic;

Again with the traffic size as justification for poor behavior. Not all
messages are created equal, and some functions have utility entirely
disproportionate to the amount of bandwidth they use.

Right, so the input here from the operators is, "Mailing list traffic is not important enough to us to prevent us from deploying an anti-spam solution that solves the vast majority of our problems with little cost or difficulty. The MLM software authors will have to deal with this problem on their end." And your response is to stamp your feet and shout, "But my mailing list traffic IS important! It is, IT IS!!!!!"

I'm glad that you feel that way, we should all have things that we're proud of after all. But in terms of actually listening to and acting on the input we've received from the operator community about this topic, the IETF has failed. The fact that people like you don't recognize this as a failure is a clear sign that our slippery slope into irrlevance is well greased.

Doug