Re: DMARC from the perspective of the listadmin of a bunch of SMALL community lists

2014-04-19 14:17:50
On 4/19/2014 1:08 PM, ned+ietf(_at_)mauve(_dot_)mrochek(_dot_)com wrote:

I agree, but I also think there is another element of the
situation that got us here, and that has led us close to other
problems in the past.  When the RFC Editor is asked to publish a
non-WG document (i.e., either an individual submission through
the IETF stream or as an independent submission) that could be
construed as some sort of standard (whether actually standards
track or not) or approval of an IANA parameter registration is
on the basis of expert review, there as a potential for the
appearance of conflicts of interest.   Those conflicts need not
be of the traditional legal or financial variety.  They can
occur (or be perceived to occur) when someone's institutional or
organizational relationships outside the IETF might lead people
to suspect that review and decision-making might not be as
careful, unbiased, or primarily reflective of the interest of
the IETF or the broader Internet community as we would like it
to assume it always is.  For situations where troublesome
relationships exist or might be inferred (even by those
suffering from mild paranoid), we need to get much more careful
about disclosure of the relationships involved.

Good point, and I agree.

These waters are going to be difficult to nagivate, but I don't see any
alternative.

Maybe I should of followed with my gut instinct and followed through with my appeal a few years back when this whole situation we have today was the crux of the main philosophical debates of TRUST vs POLICY DKIM framework and a deemphasis of policy and lost of a standard track WG ADSP policy proposal was going down the drain with conflictive trust interest dominating the direction of DKIM.

But with seeing the WG chairs and ADs interest also being in conflict as well, including one AD recusing himself from my initial appeal interest AD/chairs contact, I knew it was time to give up. In a chat with Eric, who lead the early DKIM policy framework work, when Levine's poison pill ADSP hijacked the policy work, he said it was over as far as an IETF standard work item. It will have to be revisited from outside the IETF with some trade group. DMARC is a result.

In that vain, I am partially the blame for backing off. How much talking can you do? At this point, now I am being excommunicated. It wasn't fun. Its not like the chairs and the Ads were not aware of the concerns. But I guess I didn't have enough influence. I didn't attend meetings. I didn't have get to know the folks or them me.

But I knew this was going to be a major problem when the IETF was now abandoning ADSP for the same reasons you are seeing now with DMARC. Essentially both lacked 3rd party semantics. So its somewhat surreal that DMARC would be now marketed by the IETF when the same ADSP problem did not get addressed. It can't be made any more simpler than that.

Overall, the technical issues were obvious. But there was two basic attitudes that was hard to overcome and I think still needs to be overcome:

1) A mindset that REJECTION is bad. Accept all mail and let users decide was the prevailing mindset. It was a SYSTEM wide vs USER filtering design issue. As a developer, it means BOTH options would be available for the operators to work with. But overall, the ideas of deterministic system wide rejection was too little too much for many of the IETF mail vets.

2) The 3rd party Trust/Reputation Market potential was too great to allow self-signing policy based system marginalized this trust market potential. New ventures had started by the leads of the DKIM project. Again, brought up but what were you going to do. For me, lead the way, trust and policy do co-exist and we would be better for it, if others vendors refused to see that. But no, POLICY had to go! there was no compromising whatsoever.

Anyway, I'm somewhat tired of it. Much development time was put into DKIM, ADSP, ATPS over the 9+. If the attitudes don't change now that DMARC is here, well, I don't see any hope with this issue unless fresh new synergism and policy support advocates folks get involved. We got the usual typical relatively few people that appear to be considered the main leads with these IETF mail related projects and that has to improve or in this case, finally change a few key folks position on DKIM + POLICY and help lead the way with 3rd party policy support that is workable, acceptable for all.

If DMARC is the going to be the "method," the "language" then it can be fine tuned with IETF based extensions that the silly DMARC.ORG folks, whoever they are, can not stop from happening in the same way we somewhat tried to keep ADSP alive with the ATPS extension.

If thats a problem, then how about this>

I proposed ADSP to be remove from Historic status, and reestablished
     as a Proposed Standard.

Why does this make sense? Well, there are systems that support ADSP, there is APIs, there is running code, and its still too early with DMARC to completely eliminate ADSP. Since its not perfect, a competing ADSP may actually get the DMARC.ORG to be more agreeable with IETF related concerns.

--
HLS