Re: Enough DMARC whinging

2014-05-03 11:42:36
On 5/1/2014 2:51 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:
In message <5362B4C6(_dot_)10904(_at_)meetinghouse(_dot_)net>, Miles Fidelman
writes:
Dave Crocker wrote:
    5. The IESG has concluded that this document extends an IETF protocol
       in a way that requires IETF review and should therefore not be
       published without IETF review and IESG approval.

Since DMARC does not extend any existing IETF protocol, how is that
reference useful here?

Sure looks to me like DMARC extends both SMTP and DNS.

And DKIM.

No, No, and No.

Don't confuse 'use' with 'extend'.

TCP "uses" IP.  It does not "extend" it.  That's what architectural
layering is about.  Functions above a layer do not extend the lower
layer; they use it.

DMARC /uses/ DKIM (and SPF).  It does not alter (extend) either of them.

As for any claim that DMARC 'extends' SMTP or DNS, it's difficult to
imagine the technical logic behind such an assertion.

d/

ps.  The original note was from Jim Fenton and it was him I was asking
to explain his reference.  He seemed to be making a point and I was
asking him to provide it explicitly.

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking