DMARC: A solution using ATPS RFC6541 extension

2014-05-16 15:25:57
Alessandro,

There is still a status quo between the two different camps; one that believes in a policy framework and one that doesn't. It really has nothing to do with technical issues because they all has been already worked out. But rather an unwillingness to even acknowledge policy existence.

That approach has not worked and it was predictable because it was always a fallacy to believe that strict policies were limited to certain use cases and certain domains. It provided a flawed rationale and basis to allow DKIM resigning by ignoring policy with the acceptability of a limited damage.

The DKIM RFC6376 preferred method of looking up the signer domain has simply failed to materialize in the market place. And even if it did, it would still not address the filtering of the obvious protocol expected faults resulting from legacy mail operations and adapting spoofers. In other words, via policy, if you raise the "expectation bar":

   Does this domain send any mail?
   Does this domain always sign its own mail?
   Does it allow others to sign freely?
   Does it allow authorized resigners?

The first two could be ignorant spammers who don't have a clue about new 5321/5322 methods. Its getting by with a legacy SMTP mode of operation. The last two helps to deal with those spammers that may adapt and try to "fake" out the receivers with unchecked DKIM signatures.

These and other similar questions are real DKIM situations the signer domain trust model can not answer. You can only get this info from the author. Even if the signer domain was used, it would need to still reflect the author domains intent and authorization for resigning.

None is this is new. Many documents were produced. But we didn't have the full IETF DKIM project leaders support and endorsement to finish up ADSP. Levine refused to fix/update ADSP despite all the interest to do so. It was an unfortunate mistake for the DKIM WG chairs and Ads to allow this lack of ADSP engineering leadership situation to occur. The chairs and ADs were clearly aware there was a concern and also the threat of appeal.

Anyway, the available solution is still very simple. Given all the work already explored, DMARC needs an ATPS extension. ATPS piggy back off the ADSP record. We can just update ATPS to piggy back of the DMARC record. I already started this using my idsg.net DMARC record:

_dmarc TXT ("v=DMARC1; p=reject; atps=y;
rua=mailto:dmarc-rua(_at_)isdg(_dot_)net;" )

The atps=y tag tells the compliant DMARC+ATPS receiver to do an authorized third party signature check against the DKIM-Signature "d=" signer domain. I have an _atps record for ietf.org:

pq6xadozsi47rluiq5yohg2hy3mvjyoo._atps TXT      ( "v=atps01; d=ietf.org;" )

So in theory, when ietf.org breaks and resigns my isdg.net list submissions, any download DMARC+ATPS receivers can see that isdg.net authorizes ietf.org to resign list mail from isdg.net. I already began to modify our WCADSP Wizard web site for DMARC:

     http://winserver.com/public/wcdmarc

It is pretty much done with the backend scripts updated to create DMARC records. I am just playing/cleaning the FORM UI, single sourcing it for mobile/tablet UI.

Of course, it all means nothing without further support for ATPS. It provides an OUT for YAHOO and AOL to get a resigner whitelist using ATPS records. If they can support this simple extension to DMARC, then we would be headed in the right direction for all parties. Even if the certain LIST operators continues to refuse to support policy, at the very least, the download receivers would be able to handle it better by checking for the list signer domain authorization.

Without the support, you can see the attached dmarc-gmail-warning.png image where the GMAIL mail reader (via my iPAD) shows a warning for the unauthorized 3rd party signature DMARC failure. A simple ATPS TXT lookup for:

    base32(sha1("ietf.org"))._atps.isdg.net

would of addressed this problem.

---
HLS