Re: Yahoo breaks every mailing list in the world including the IETF's

2014-05-17 11:30:16
Hi Eric,
At 14:12 15-05-2014, Eric Dynamic wrote:
Solving the SPAM problem once and "for all time", the right way

The genuine solution to the problem of worldwide spam and 98% of all email flows being "buy this garbage" solicitations and "please infect yourself" virus-carrying messages is

I rearranged the text in your message. The "please infect yourself" approach is applicable to any system, e.g. http://www.ask.com/answers/494945261/is-this-real-i-m-freaking-out-please-help

I run mailing lists for the Berkeley (California) Parent-Teacher's Association (PTA.) So Yahoo is

Is that www.berkeleypta.org

essentially saying that no Yahoo users can get email sent to such lists BY Yahoo users. This of course makes no sense. Moreover, the issue has been outstanding for long enough that Yahoo should by now have REMEDIED the situation. But this seems to much to expect: Corporate Accountability, in an age where these corporations think they are "important" for having millions of subscribers.

I'll rearrange some of the text here.

I would suggest people start complaining to the EFF (Electronic Frontier Foundation.) This is something which is supposed to be their "back yard", that they would address, but they ignored my initial complaints to them. I think if they start hearing from the public at large they will realize this is non-trivial and something very worth their attention.

After reading the above my conclusion is that yahoo.com and eff.org consider the problem as trivial and not worthy of their attention.

There were calls to complain to Yahoo (these are steadfastly ignored) and to boycott Yahoo (these are also ignored by a public on automatic pilot, bought out by the notion of "free" accounts of all kinds.) We are entering a stage in the Corporatization of America where it's time to pay attention and fight back, or these Corporations will WIN and effectively replace the IETF with their own "common" (malfeasant) practices. It has been suggested that Yahoo, Google, et. al. are busy

I don't have an opinion about the Corporatization of America. Please note that the usage of "America" as a geographical reference is ambiguous as it is not clear whether Canada or Chile are included.

I can play Google off against Yahoo, by telling the Yahoo users to threaten to switch to Google if Yahoo won't behave; but it's no great solution if they actually do so. Another recommendation to people is to NOT HAVE Google host their email domains, but once people hear "free" they ignore reason, logic and everything else. How sad it is how cheaply people are bought out against their own interests nowadays.

I rearranged the above text. There is a significant number of IETF participants using gmail.com email addresses. It would be interesting to hear their opinion about the above.

I think the IETF needs to issue an emergency policy statement that condemns the interference these corporations are causing with our Free Speech. (to repeat:) It is almost certain that what Yahoo, Google, AOL, et. al. are doing violates a number of "best practices" RFCs that the IETF has published. It is multiplying Internet traffic loads for no valid purpose.

The IETF does not issue emergency policy statements. It is unlikely that there would be consensus to condemn any interference with free speech.

the polemic tone reflects my irritation, sorry. :)

I might be mildly irritated if a mail provider used by people subscribed to the mailing list I run created a problem which affects me. I might give some thought to what to do about it. The rest is a matter of imagination and inclination.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy