Re: Yahoo breaks every mailing list in the world including the IETF's

2014-05-19 03:47:37
Welcome to the Internet. You are so not in charge. And being a
straight-talking, no holds barred guy is not the same as being rude. Your post
is the latter.

There are billions of hosts connected to the Internet and they’re running
whatever they feel like, and nobody’s asked you. People use Windows because it
works for them. Unix and Linux don’t unless you layer a huge layer of GUI
makeup to hide the ugliness away, as in Mac OS, iOS and Android. I’ve been
using Unix with makeup since 2000 BTW, but Windows bashing is so 2006.

Your argument does not hold water. Spam existed long before botnets. It’s the
anti-spam measures that those IT professionals have been using that have forced
spammers to seek other means of distribution such as botnets. If they didn’t
use that, they’d use something else, or else we’d see more things like
Flashback or that Java botnet that runs everywhere. I get tons of span because
my email address is posted in a lot of places on the Internet: IETF mailing
lists, I-Ds and RFCs. It makes economic sense to send spam to people like me
(some of us take the bait), so the spammers will do it one way or another.
Unpatched Windows systems are an easy target for them, but eliminating those
will not solve the spam problem.

Yoav