RE: inquiry re. the state of protocol R&D

2014-05-28 04:30:08
If you go back to the venerable RFC 791 that defines IP you'll find (in Section
3.3) "An Example Upper Level Interface" that includes

SEND (src, dst, prot, TOS, TTL, BufPTR, len, Id, DF, opt => result)

and

RECV (BufPTR, prot, => result, src, dst, TOS, len, opt)

I'm not saying that's a great example (even apart from how TOS has evolved) but
it shows the idea of what is essentially a language-independent programming
interface isn't foreign to the IETF.

--
Christopher Dearlove
Senior Principal Engineer, Communications Group

BAE Systems (Operations) Limited
Registered Office: Warwick House, PO Box 87, Farnborough Aerospace Centre,
Farnborough, Hants, GU14 6YU, UK
Registered in England & Wales No: 1996687