Re: Last Call: <draft-iab-2870bis-01.txt> (DNS Root Name Service Protocol and Deployment Requirements) to Best Current Practice

2014-05-28 11:31:13
Paul:

You have asked a question in a manner that assumes a technical assessment can
be made.  I do not think that is the situation.  Instead, I think the question
is whether the IETF is the proper organization to write a BCP about protocol
requirements for root servers and RSSAC is the right organization to write a
document about operational requirements for root servers.  In short, this more
of a political question than a technical one.  Back when RFC 2870 was written,
the IETF (rightly or wrongly) included both requirement sets in the same
document.

From my perspective, IETF is the proper organization to write a BCP about
protocol requirements.

RSSAC has been going through a restructuring process.  Assuming that a
functional organization emerges from that process, RSSAC will be a fine
organization to handle the operational requirements.

Russ