Re: Internet 2020 Goals

2014-05-29 11:51:32

On 5/29/2014 9:41 AM, Ofer Inbar wrote:
IMO this tangent is off track.

The goal wasn't to "predict" anything, but rather to state the
vision we want to pursue.  So it's misguided to critique that on
the basis that lots of people make predictions and are often wrong.
Having goals and trying to pursue them is not the same as guessing
what will happen.

Sure. I would have a few goals in that mind, for the I*E*TF:

- clean up and unify the core (mandatory) requirements for Internet devices

- clean up and unify the optional requirements for Internet devices

- clean up and unify the BCPs for:
        - designing new protocols or modifying existing ones
        - operating networks
        - writing specifications about the above

We spend a lot of time talking about what we want others to do, but it's difficult to see holes in the current framework as it's currently organized ;-)

Joe