Change the mailing list protocol, not DMARC.

2014-06-07 07:41:15
On Sat, May 3, 2014 at 2:08 PM, Hector Santos <hsantos(_at_)isdg(_dot_)net>
wrote:

Let me ask, what if a fedex.com employee use this email domain for
subscribing to the IETF list?

Any subsequent problems are irrelevant unless FedEx, the owner of
fedex.com considers them to be relevant.

That is what folk complaining don't get: you don't have the right to
use your employers email or a public email provider's email any way
you want. The domain name owner makes the rules.

As Craster insists: My domain, my rules.

If you want to make the rules then get your own domain. I think that
is something most IETF participants know how to do.

In the medium term, lets kill the stupidity of mailing lists with a
protocol that works. NNTP was originally designed to replace mailing
lists. It actually works quite well at that. The only problem was the
IT-Dictator mindset that underlies it: newsgroups have to be approved
by the Commune!

The idea that newsgroups work by the mail client PULLING a list of
unread messages and then PULLING those that are to be read is the best
architecture for newsgroups.

I am currently using 8Gb of my primary Gmail account space, 80% of
that is my mailing list mail. Google and Yahoo could both save tens of
millions of dollars worth of hard drives a year with a better
protocol, thats incentive to invest.

The only points that need to change are the mailing list programs need
to offer a very simple network API and the clients need to accept it.
The second is not so difficult to deploy for the 90% of webmail users.