RE: Last Call: <draft-ietf-mpls-smp-requirements-05.txt> (Requirements for MPLS-TP Shared Mesh Protection) to Informational RFC

2014-06-09 09:27:08
Here are some comments from my review as AD that need to get handled as part of
IETF last call.

Thanks,
Adrian

===

Could you expand "p2p" where it is first used?

---

The very first sentence is hard to parse

   MPLS transport networks can be characterized as being a network of
   connections between nodes within a mesh of nodes and the links
   between them.

Maybe try

   The MPLS Transport Profile (MPLS-TP) provides tools to construct and
   operate a set of connections between nodes in an MPLS network.  The
   MPLS network is a mesh comprising nodes and the links between them.

---

I understand that you want to use RFC 2119 language to clarify the
requirements, but RFC 2119 was developed for specifying protocols, so
the direct reference and boilerplate quote is incongruous. I suggest
you use the language as found in RFC 5654, viz.:

   The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
   "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
   document are to be interpreted as described in RFC 2119 [RFC2119].
   Although this document is not a protocol specification, the use of
   this language clarifies the instructions to protocol designers
   producing solutions that satisfy the requirements set out in this
   document.

---

In Section 5.1 you have

   the control
   protocol SHOULD NOT be used as the primary resilience mechanism.

I agree, but I think that the term "primary resilience mechanism" may be
under defined. Can you do anything to clarify this? Maybe...

   the control
   protocol SHOULD NOT be used as the primary mechanism for detecting or
   reporting network failures, or for initiating or coordinating
   protection switch-over.  That is, it SHOULD NOT be used as the
   primary resilience mechanism.