Re: Last Call: <draft-secretaries-good-practices-06.txt> (IETF Working Groups' Secretaries) to Best Current Practice

2014-06-12 13:56:07
At 06:26 12-06-2014, The IESG wrote:
The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider
the following document:
- 'IETF Working Groups' Secretaries'
  <draft-secretaries-good-practices-06.txt> as Best Current Practice

ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org mailing lists by 2014-07-10. Exceptionally, comments
may be

I would give credit the anonymous reviewer who pointed this out. A Working Group Chair has the responsibility to make decisions on behalf of the working group. There are times where one or more participants disagree with a decision which was taken. The question of who is responsible comes into play if the WG Secretary took the decision. There is the word "responsibility" in the heading of Section 3 of the draft. I suggest avoiding that word in the draft as I don't think it is okay to blame the WG Secretary for process issues. Some people may consider that it is fair game to do that. I suggest also reviewing the usage of the word "accountable".

In Section 3.1.1:

  "Note that WG Chairs may wish to set policies for accepting
   discussion's slot requests."

I suggest using the word "guidelines" instead of "policies".

Section 3.2 uses the term "WG document's adoption polls". I suggest avoiding the word "polls" as it sounds like voting.

  "Decisions are sometimes taken by WG Chairs during WG sessions."

It has been said that decisions are taken on the mailing list. The above can be a problem when BCP 25 is invoked.

I would like to thank the authors for putting the effort in doing this work.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy