Re: Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-ipfix-text-adt-05

2014-06-16 04:56:51
Hi Brian, Juergen,

Do I understand correctly that you plan on submitting a new draft version to address David's feedback?

Juergen,
As far as I know, this is the only feedback received during IETF LC.
If that's correct, when this feedback is addressed, I'll put this document on the IESG telechat.

Regards, Benoit
Brian,

Thanks for the response.

Regarding Unicode string normalization and preparation, if those were
appropriate, they should have been introduced in RFC 7011, and picked
up here by reference.  If there's an actual problem that requires
those techniques (unclear), a revision to RFC 7011 would be the right
place to address that problem, not this draft.

I would note that the sheer volume of monitoring data tends to require
automatic processing by recipients, and such tools are likely to compare
strings in monitoring data.

I definitely agree that some text about Enclosing Context rules/requirements
for Unicode usage would help, e.g., along the lines of:

We largely presume these to be the responsibility of the Enclosing Context (in
this document) and the Metering Process that created the string in the first
place. Neither 7011 nor this representation present additional considerations
here: we just take the Unicode string we get from whoever wants to send/store
it and shovel it out.
and

Lots of mischief is possible with non-printing and control characters -
I would expect that the Enclosing Context contains sufficient restrictions
on use of Unicode to deal with most of this concern, and would state that
expectation.  This comment is definitely specific to this draft.
So, please do add some text on this topic.

A general warning about unreliability of Unicode string comparison
is in order.  This also applies if an identifier that is not limited
to ASCII characters is substituted for an integer as described in
Section 4.2.
Good point; is there a good cite for this?
Try RFC 6885 - Stringprep Revision and Problem Statement
for the Preparation and Comparison of Internationalized Strings (PRECIS)

Section 4.1.5 of the précis framework draft warns against use of mixed-
direction Unicode strings, as "there is currently no widely accepted and
implemented solution for the processing and safe display of mixed-
direction strings."  That warning deserves repetition here.
Please repeat that warning, probably w/an informative reference to the
précis framework draft.

Thanks,
--David