Re: second call: NomCom 2014-2015 Call for Volunteers

2014-06-23 12:40:31

I had feed back that:

I'd suggest that you'd get better participation from .au, .nz and perhaps
parts of Asia as well if there was more transparency about how often the
calls are, when they'll be scheduled, etc.

and I wanted to explain.

1) the first thing the newly seated nomcom usually does is adopt some
   proceedures, including a voting process.  On non-selection decisions,
   all members of the nomcom vote, including liasons; but most nomcoms
   have tried to work consensus on non-selection decisions.
   One important non-selection decision is when to have conference calls.

2) I've been on three nomcoms, and while I can't really recall 2003/2004,
   for 2012/2013 we had a regular thursday 12:00 UTC call (2hr before the
   IESG call).
   For the 2013/2014 we had a regular Tuesday 12:00 UTC, and later added
   a 04:00 UTC Thursday call.
   (I think we adjusted to daylight savings though)

12:00 UTC translates to:
          5am PDT
          8am EDT
          2pm EET
          8pm China
          9pm Tokyo
          10pm Sydney
          11pm Auckland

In 2013/2014 we picked 04:00 for the second call to reverse the night pain:
04:00 UTC translates to:
          9pm   PDT    (the night before)
          00:00 EDT    (midnight to 2am)
          6am EET
          12:00 China
          1pm   Tokyo
          2pm   Sydney
          3pm   Auckland

As many of the calls were done with G+ and included video, one could see who
was falling asleep.  There also some cats who participated in many calls.

In the list, there are people from nearly every time zone, and previous
nomcoms have been well represented around the globe, so it doesn't have to
always be painful for every call.

--
Michael Richardson
mcr+nomcom(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca