Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-appsawg-nullmx-05.txt> (A NULL MX Resource Record for Domains that Accept No Mail) to Proposed Standard

2014-07-18 09:48:06
On 7/18/2014 4:50 AM, Ted Lemon wrote:
I must be missing something here.   You're saying you want me to set
up a null MX for all my hosts to prevent someone else's MTA having
undeliverable mail sitting in the queue for a week?   Why would I
care about your MTA's queue?   Why would this issue even be on my
radar?

Well, some operators actually like being good neighbors, especially when
the effort needed is tiny and one-time.

But even if they don't care about that, they might prefer not to have
those guys banging on their servers for days until the message times out.

The second example you give, stopping mail being delivered to the web
server, is actually served better by setting up a proper MX that
directs the mail to the right server.   Does an HTTP server really
care about the occasional SYN to port 25?

Ahhh.  You haven't heard of the scaling effects of botnets.

So the answer is yes, since it might not be 'occasional'.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking