Re: Security for the IETF wireless network

2014-07-25 07:54:19

On 7/25/14 8:30 AM, joel jaeggli wrote:
On 7/25/14, 7:59 AM, George, Wes wrote:
Jari, while I support this idea, if I had to prioritize, I'd rather us
focus on consistently offering *any* secured WiFi option in the hotel
rooms.

Here at the Fairmont, for example: ietf-hotel is the only SSID available,
and it's not secure. Yes, one could use wired, assuming one's widget has
an ethernet plug, but many now don't.

If you have the luxury of a wired port, deploying your own ap will
probably get you more deterministic service, and a secure air interface.
prefix delegatation is probably  something we need to do.

The amount of control we have over the hotels infrastruture varies, this
time it's a meru controller and we were able to change the ssid and get
it to bridge ipv6 which are both tiny miracles.

I have been carrying some type of access point in my luggage for the last decade. Currently it's an AirPort Express, but someone posted this earlier in the week and I was immediately intrigued:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171085144197?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

tim