Re: Hawaii Block - going, going....

2014-09-03 17:59:49
On 04/09/2014 08:47, Ofer Inbar wrote:
Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer(_at_)nic(_dot_)fr> wrote:
And this just scratches the surface. There's easily 6 hotels that are both
cheaper and have better ratings than the Hilton, and still have rooms for
the IETF week, within a few blocks. What's the problem?
No problem at all and thanks for the information that you
searched. However, for people who do not know the place, it can be
difficult to find out the locations that are the closest - time-wise,
not distance-wise - from the Hilton (Google Maps may deceive you, for
instance if there is a big freeway to cross between your hotel and the
Hilton).

Here, the local host could help by suggesting the most convenient
hotels.

This is true in the general case, but this location is a special case.

Waikiki is essentially a neighborhood of hotels.  More than half the
blocks in that area appeared, when I was walking around there, to be
made up entirely of hotels plus retail to support the people staying
at those hotels.  A typical Waikiki hotel is both next door to and
across the street from other hotels.  So, no freeways, no train
tracks, no other obstacles, just hotels everywhere, totally walkable.

So how is a person in, say, an African country who has never been
to Hawaii supposed to know that? I had to get a guide book out of
the library to know that, and I've been travelling to the USA regularly
since 1979.

    Brian