Re: IETF web site behind CloudFlare

2014-09-17 10:19:24
Rhys Smith wrote:
Leif Johansson <leifj(_at_)mnt(_dot_)se> wrote:

Its a ToR thing. You get hit by captchas when you aproach from a ToR
exit node.

I think ToR users are fine with that (generally speaking).

On the contrary, they ought to be rightfully upset about such crap.

I don't understand why you need JS for presenting a basic captcha.

A bug in CloudFlare?s stuff?

In principle, the dysfunction/inaccessibility of WebSites without
Javascript enabled is a rampant pandemic disease and a serious threat
to everybody, as least as bad, if not worse than the massive global
communications surveillance by Five Eyes and ilk.

Singling out TOR users and persuading them to enable Javascript adds
a different aspect, however.  We know from past publications that
FBI (and probably all other agencies) exploit browser bugs in attempt
to identify TOR users, and exploiting Browser bugs is **MUCH** easier
when Javascript is available.

So there likely is a desire within those agencies to condition
TOR users to enable Javascript, and the current CloudFlare
behaviour is not necessarily a genuine idea, but may have been
inspired/suggested/coerced from outside.

-Martin