Re: [dtn] proposed DTN workgroup - what is process being followed?

2014-10-23 12:55:07
Based on a meeting I recently attended and 2014 references such as this:

(http://nsrc.cse.psu.edu/talks_2014/thoughts_on_future_army_waveforms_20Mar2014.pdf)

I cannot share your conclusion.

Also, and perhaps more architecturally interesting, I think it would
be stretch to conclude that the ICN body of work covers the DTN work
entirely.  Some of the differences I covered in the document you
referenced.  But in short, here are a couple of observations regarding
the differences:

ICN is a groups of different projects, not one particular one, so
there are some differences
Generally the ICN projects refer to storage as short/immediate term
(in-memory), not persistent
DTN-style registrations, which can be persistent, are also not
ordinarily in the ICN work
ICN projects do not appear to deal with 1-directional links, at least
not all of them
The (two) goals of fragmentation in DTN are absent in the ICN designs
Security was separated out in the BP for DTN; some of the ICN designs
it is required/integral
[but one needs to be careful here about what is being protected--
content integrity/confidentiality]

Also worthy of mention I think, is to remember that there are
differences between so-called 'problems' in the DTN design and goals
versus problems in the BP implementation(s) that most folks have
played with.  It would be unfortunate to conclude certain things as
'problems' in the approach if they are not.

regards,
- Kevin

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 7:46 PM, William Ivancic