Re: Last Call: <draft-nottingham-safe-hint-05.txt> (The "safe" HTTP Preference) to Proposed Standard

2014-11-16 13:47:59
On 11/16/2014 10:58 AM, Christian Huitema wrote:
Rather, it's that the mechanism is only offered as a standardized
way for a browser to request a feature that already exists in a
number of major sites.

And that's precisely the problem.

Sites can easily adapt their services to the needs and desires of
their users. They can do it today using site specific settings. I am
pretty sure that these settings require more than just one bit,

"pretty sure"?

This implies that you haven't been tracking the discussion of this topic
so far.

so we
have to assume that sites will still need these settings tomorrow
By creating a standard, we would be creating a social norm.

It's a shame that you ignored the rest of my message, which joined in
noting the much-referenced fact about established practice for this
feature, and that you chose, instead, to launch into detached theory and
surmise, which has little to do with the current topic.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking