Re: Last Call: RFC 6346 successful: moving to Proposed Standard

2014-12-03 11:07:49
Hi,

I do not support this action.  The words in the abstract in RFC6346:

   We are facing the exhaustion of the IANA IPv4 free IP address pool.
   Unfortunately, IPv6 is not yet deployed widely enough to fully
   replace IPv4, and it is unrealistic to expect that this is going to
   change before the depletion of IPv4 addresses.  Letting hosts
   seamlessly communicate in an IPv4 world without assigning a unique
   globally routable IPv4 address to each of them is a challenging
   problem.

are not accurate.  Noting one of many statistics that IPv6 use is growing,
Google is reporting that 5% of their access traffic is from IPv6:

   http://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html

We have effectively gotten to the point of depletion of IPV4 addresses, and the
world has not come to an end.  I don't see any need to reclassify this RFC as a
standard and think doing so would cause confusion in the community and be
harmful to the Internet.

Bob