Re: [Json] Gen-ART and OPS-Dir review of draft-ietf-json-text-sequence-10

2014-12-11 16:47:16
On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 10:29:16AM -0800, Paul Hoffman wrote:
<shepherd hat on>
Item [F] about the <angle-bracketed> text in the IANA Considerations
(Section 4) remains open - if the intent is to not deal with replacing
that text until after IESG approval, an RFC Editor Note to that effect
should be added to Section 4.

David: I disagree with the need for this change. The RFC Editor can
interpret the current wording just fine.

I'll leave them as-is then.

I have an additional editorial concern - given all the discussion about
UTF-8, it would be good for the draft to make it clear early on
that JSON text sequences are UTF-8 only.  Here are some suggested changes.

Abstract:

  This document describes the JSON text sequence format and associated
  media type, "application/json-seq".  A JSON text sequence consists of
  any number of JSON texts, each prefix by an Record Separator
  (U+001E), and each ending with a newline character (U+000A).

"any number of JSON texts" -> "any number of UTF-8 encoded JSON texts"

This change concerns me, because it sounds like a JSON text sequence
could consist of JSON texts encoded in UTF-8 and other encodings. I
would instead prefer "any number of JSON texts, all encoded in
UTF-8,".

I'll take this.

I also just now noticed that there is a typo in the abstract: it
should say "each prefix*ed*".

Fixed.

It also looks like ASCII names for RS and LF are being mixed w/Unicode
codepoints in the second sentence in the abstract.  I'm not sure that's
a good thing to do, especially as the body of the draft refers to RS and
LF as being ASCII.  Here are a couple of changes that would remedy this:

  "an Record Separator (U+001E)" -> "an ASCII Record Separator (0x1E)"
  "a newline character (U+000A)" -> "an ASCII newline character (0x0A)"

With John Cowan's change ("an ASCII Line Feed character (0x1E)"
instead of "an ASCII Record Separator (0x1E)"), that would indeed be
clearer.

OK.

Section 2 JSON Text Sequence Format:

I suggest adding this sentence as a separate paragraph at the end of this
section (i.e., just before Section 2.1):

  JSON text sequences MUST use UTF-8 encoding; other encodings of JSON
  (i.e., UTF-16 and UTF-32) MUST NOT be used.

That seems like a good clarifying addition as well.

Nico: could you issue a -11 with the above changes?

I'll confirm the posting seconds from sending this.