RE: [Json] Gen-ART and OPS-Dir review of draft-ietf-json-text-sequence-10

2014-12-11 19:23:41
If we're going to split hairs, "MUST use UTF-8 encoding" does not imply
"MUST be valid UTF-8" (e.g., courtesy of truncation in the middle of a
Unicode character) - the latter is a stricter requirement, and is not
what I suggested.

Thanks,
--David

-----Original Message-----
From: John Cowan [mailto:cowan(_at_)ccil(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of John Cowan
Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2014 8:04 PM
To: Paul Hoffman
Cc: Black, David; Nico Williams; General Area Review Team
(gen-art(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org);
json(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org; ops-dir(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org;
ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [Json] Gen-ART and OPS-Dir review of draft-ietf-json-text-
sequence-10

Paul Hoffman scripsit:

  JSON text sequences MUST use UTF-8 encoding; other encodings of JSON
  (i.e., UTF-16 and UTF-32) MUST NOT be used.

That seems like a good clarifying addition as well.

I continue to think this is a bad idea.  In particular, you cannot claim
that because a text sequence entity body is not valid UTF-8, that it is
not a valid JSON text sequence; as I explained before, the JSON texts
may be truncated or otherwise damaged such that they contain only part
of a UTF-8-encoded character.

--
John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
cowan(_at_)ccil(_dot_)org