Re: Last Call: RFC 6346 successful: moving to Proposed Standard

2014-12-12 13:47:21
Everyone—

After thinking about it for some time, I have decided that I support
changing the status of RFC 6346 to Proposed Standard, and I hope deployment
of A+P to become more widespread with IPv4 service.

It's my view that RFC 6346 is mainly a system to facilitate the bulk
collection of Internet communications metadata, and therefore RFC 2804, RFC
6973 and I-D.iab-privsec-confidentiality-threat would seem to me to be
relevant documents in considering what status to assign it.  The security
considerations section in RFC 6346 openly explains how NAT44/A+P is
designed to facilitate bulk metadata collection, which comports nicely with
the call in RFC 2804 to remain neutral about the morality of wiretapping
while viewing the specification of how it is done to be a Good Thing. It
also explains how the privacy considerations related to data minimization
of identity metadata retention are traded away in exchange for reduced
operating costs, which I think comports nicely with RFC 6973. Finally, I
think moving NAT44/A+P to Proposed Standard makes it clear that IETF
understands believes IPv4 users cannot expect the mapping between personal
identity and IP address to be obscured by carrier-grade NAT44 devices.

On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 2:38 PM, The IESG <iesg-secretary(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>