Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-ospf-te-metric-extensions-08.txt> (OSPF Traffic Engineering (TE) Metric Extensions) to Proposed Standard

2014-12-17 05:22:34
Acee

Sorry that my original comment was opaque.   Partly, I was agreeing with
Adrian that a reference to a floating point standard would be a good
idea, but disagreeing with Adrain about the particular standard, that a
more recent one was available and had been used previously by an IETF
RFC.  That part I hope is now clear, thanks to the clarifications by
others.

My tangential comment was that YANG has no facility to model floating
point numbers, having looked at doing so and rejected it, several times,
reckoning that the decimal-64, defined in RFC6020 section 9.3, is
adequate for network configuration.

A consequence of this, which is understood, is that if you think of a
number, express it in YANG's decimal-64, convert it to floating point
because that is what XPath uses (and so is used by YANG's conditional
statements), convert it back to decimal-64 then you do not get the
number you first thought of (sometimes), so a test for equality will
fail, when you might expect it to succeed.

Is this an issue?  The consensus of the netmod WG (AFAICT) is that it is
not, that the use of floating point in the IETF is minimal - after all,
it took SNMP over 20 years to get round to specifying it.

But given the explosion of interest in YANG recently, I think it is a
topic to keep an eye on so when I read an I-D and find floating point, I
point{!} out that it cannot readily be modeled.  I suspect that, in this
case, consistency with what has gone before outweighs the facility to do
it in YANG.

Tom Petch