Re: slot attributes & last call

2014-12-19 11:57:37
On Fri, 19 Dec 2014, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos wrote:

   for example, metaslot on Solaris is always 0 so slot-id=0
would be reliable there to use to access the soft token.  Jan.

It is the zeroth slot in the list of slots not a slotid with a value of
0 - the distinction is subtle.
I don't think we should have slot-id, it isn't stable and I know that
some vendors use random values.

Jan,
Given that this was the main argument for adding slot-id, is there any
other reason for adding it? Aren't the description and manufacturer
sufficient for the applications which want to restrict to a specific
slot?

        hi Nikos, I still think that its ID is 0 since I've been using
it that way in C_GetMechanismInfo(0, ...).  However, my point is that
some modules MAY provide stable IDs and since there is no serial
number as for token then description/manufacturer may not be enough to
uniquely identify a slot.  That's why it could be useful in certain
situations.

        I somehow think that people would end up using it anyway and
partly for that reason we added "pin-value" which was initially
rejected, too.  If we define slot-id we avoid different parsers to use
different names like "slot", "slotid", or "slot-id".  That's why I
think it might be better to include it with a proper note.

        regards, Jan.

--
Jan Pechanec <jan(_dot_)pechanec(_at_)oracle(_dot_)com>