Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-httpbis-http2-16.txt> (Hypertext Transfer Protocol version 2) to Proposed Standard

2015-01-07 06:37:02
Hi Mark,

On 1/6/15 1:07 AM, Mark Andrews wrote:
Or one can delegate _http._tcp.example.net back to the
servers for example.net or delegate it to the hosting
provider and they can update the SRV records.

No doubt, and there are all sorts of other things one CAN do.  One
common configuration is for enterprise AD servers to be delegated _tcp
for any number of reasons.  Operationally this happens, and in large
sites it is not uncommon to see TCP-based queries because of it.  How
wide scale is the issue and is any performance hit acceptable?  That is
a fair question and difficult to answer.  It would be perfectly fine
with me if the WG had said, “ok, we'll just manage that delay; records
cache anyway.”  But that is not how discussions went.  Delay is
important.  But here again, I think we could use more analysis.  That
shouldn't hold up this draft, however.

Eliot