Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-httpbis-http2-16.txt> (Hypertext Transfer Protocol version 2) to Proposed Standard

2015-01-07 19:50:35
On 8 January 2015 at 10:56, Greg Wilkins <gregw(_at_)intalio(_dot_)com> wrote
​ [heaps, which I will snip].

I agree pretty well with what Greg's written, and just want to add one
incidental outcome that may be considered a positive: by defining a
mechanism to allow HTTP/2 traffic to flow over the existing web, using
existing HTTP/1 ports (even if most browsers will only use HTTPS ports),
we've at least paved a way to allow other/future protocols to do the same.

I agree with James Snell's earlier sentiment as well, that HTTP/2 should
aim for Experimental, rather than Standards track. We've bought the upgrade
path (sorry, the ALPN-based TLS-as-an-opaque-tunnel path), so now we're
able to experiment with new/improved web protocols, and this is the first
such experiment.

Cheers
--
  Matthew Kerwin