Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-httpbis-http2-16.txt> (Hypertext Transfer Protocol version 2) to Proposed Standard

2015-01-13 10:02:18
On 2015-01-12 16:30, Willy Tarreau wrote:
Hello,

On Sat, Jan 10, 2015 at 12:09:38AM -0800, Constantine A. Murenin wrote:
I am sincerely asking for the IETF to not approve HTTP/2 as a standard
without the compatibility issues as above being addressed first.  The
policy to abandon the http:// address scheme and adopt https:// will
only promote a significant link rot for the future generations to
experience well into the future (didn't we think TLS 1.0 was good
enough?), and will curtail independent and hobbyist operators.

Please note that the protocol *does* support http:// address scheme, it's
only that two browsers decided that they will not implement it. Let's hope
that they'll change their mind when HTTP/2 starts reaching normal users and
is no more limited to huge sites with lots of people to manage certificates.

Has this been changed since the publication of http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=2716278, which claims that it's 3 out of 4 major browsers that will only do HTTP/2.0 with TLS?

Regardless, this doesn't change the fact that HTTP/2, as proposed, lacks soft upgrade/downgrade provisions -- from the server side, you either have to carry the whole pre-HTTP/2 SSL/TLS baggage, pre-TLSv1.2 and all, or not deploy HTTP/2 at all; else, some of your customers won't be able to access the site at all, after they get the https:// links from customers that do.

This wouldn't have been the case with opportunistic encryption. It would have ensured full protection against passive monitoring attacks, in compliance with Best Current Practice 188. HTTP/2 does nothing to combat the widespread passive monitoring.

Cheers,
Constantine.