Re: Updating BCP 10 -- NomCom

2015-01-08 10:09:00
On Jan 8, 2015, at 10:59 AM, John C Klensin <john-ietf(_at_)jck(_dot_)com>
wrote:
--On Wednesday, January 07, 2015 09:03 -0800 "Murray S.
Kucherawy" <superuser(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

The first change I'd like to propose is that the IAOC Liaison
to the NomCom be codified.  It's currently only an unwritten
common practice.

I think that is fine.  However, while I continue to be generally
opposed to firm rules, I think the whole role of the liaisons
needs work.  Because of the potential for damaging existing
working relationships, the presence of the liaisons (or
particular people in liaison roles) may have chilling effects on
whether the Nomcom gets input and how candid that input actually
is. In addition, liaisons might well be assumed to be biased in
favor of retaining a status quo that works for them.  Some
assurances to the community that, e.g., liaisons were expected
to answer questions and provide general advice about roles but
that they would be at least as isolated from input about, and
internal Nomcom discussion of, specific candidates as ordinary
participants in the IETF might, in that regard, be both helpful
to a Nomcom trying to solicit input and to general impressions
about the integrity of the process.

   john

I would offer that one person’s “biased in favor of retaining a status quo that
works for them” is another person’s "Liaisons are expected to represent the
views of their respective organizations during the deliberations of the
committee.  They should provide information as requested or when they believe
it would be helpful to the committee.” [RFC 7437 Section 4.7]

If the problem is a person, we know how to deal with that. Likewise, no matter
how legalistic we become, a person with an agenda will have an agenda.