Re: Updating BCP 10 -- NomCom

2015-01-08 13:34:57
For several years now, the IESG and IAB have given their liaisons careful
instructions.  Each year, those instructions are reviewed with feedback from
the previous year liaison.  In my opinion, this is the right place for the
annual review of the instructions.  However, I do think that there can be a bit
more guidance in BCP 10 that applies to all of the liaisons.  I have a few
thoughts:

1.  The liaison is expected to act in the best interest of the IETF.

2.  During NomCom calls and meetings, the liaison is expected to represent the
views of the leadership body rather than personal opinion.

3.  The liaison may provide personal feedback to NomCom, but they should only
do so using communication channels available to all IETF participants.

To me, these are consistent with the language that is already present in RFC
3777:

     Liaisons are expected to represent the views of their respective
     organizations during the deliberations of the committee.  They
     should provide information as requested or when they believe it
     would be helpful to the committee.

Russ