Re: Updating BCP 10 -- NomCom

2015-01-08 12:55:09
At 11:32 AM 1/8/2015, John C Klensin wrote:
For example and in the hope of being a bit less vague, I
personally see no need for liaisons to sit in on candidate
interviews, to see supposedly-confidential candidate
questionnaires, to see community input about particular
candidates, or to participate in Nomcom discussions or be
exposed to correspondence about particular candidates or
candidate choice rankings.  And I see some disadvantages to the
quality and breadth of input the Nomcom is likely to receive to
their doing so. Do you disagree?

Hi John -

Speaking only to the above, during the Nomcom I ran, I found it useful to pair
up the interviewers and used every resource available.  That meant that
liaisons participated in the process of asking questions and fleshing out the
material we had already gathered from the questionnaires.   We always gave the
candidates the option to ask for other interviewers, but AIRC, no one did.

99% of the information on the questionnaire is going to be publicly sourceable
I would guess, most of the rest of the information that might be confidential
is ephemeral (e.g. candidate A is in the process of looking for a job).

Of course at the time, the actual names of the candidates were seen as
confidential.

AFAIK, it's the job of the Chair to prevent Liaisons from exerting undue
influence on the process, and I understand that there have been issues in the
past where the influence went past the bounds.  That said, the liaisons are
likely to have more and relevant information on more of the candidates than the
10 people picked at random from the IETF as a whole.  Failure to use that
resource would - IMHO - result in a worst result, not a better one.  Community
input is all fine and good, but it has the same bias problems that you get with
self-selected surveys.

That is a long way of saying, that yes I disagree.

Later, Mike