Re: [saag] i18n requirements (was: Re: NF* (Re: PKCS#11 URI slot attributes & last call))

2015-01-12 18:09:43
On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 05:36:21PM -0600, Pete Resnick wrote:
On 1/11/15 10:54 PM, Nico Williams wrote:

On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 05:28:30PM -0500, Salz, Rich wrote:

I'd go even further than that and just mandate MUST ASCII.
I don't know if the IETF is "allowed" to do that any more, but +1 for
the reasons you list.
I'm not sure if the IESG will agree to that...

Given that this particular member of the IESG has (successfully)
argued vehemently for ASCII-only on multiple occasions in the recent
past, I would say that your worries on that score are overdone. :-)

Well alright.  I'd love to see a set of guidelines for I18N activities.

When should we try to support Unicode, and when should we not?  Is it
one of those "I know it when I see it" kinds of guidelines?  That
wouldn't be useful enough :(

Mind you, IIRC PKCS#11 didn't even say anything about ASCII before.
Token labels and such used to be fixed-sized octet strings containing
character data.  Jan can correct me if I'm wrong.  I'm not sure even
saying "ASCII-only" would necessarily be safe in that case...

Fortunately the OASIS PKCS11 TC has clarified that these are UTF-8;
unfortunately they left other I18N details out.

Nico