RE: [Gen-art] Gen-ART and OPS-Dir review of draft-ietf-httpbis-header-compression-10

2015-01-23 10:52:39
This sort of guidance will definitely be a useful addition.   A little
more wordsmithing on Stephen's proposed text follows:

  The decision on whether a header field is ok to
  compress or
  not is highly dependent on the context. As a generic
  guidance, header fields used for conveying highly valued
  information, such as the Authorization or Cookie header
  fields, can be considered to be on the more sensitive
  side. In addition, a header field with a short value
  has potentially a smaller entropy and can be more at
  risk. We know that compressing low-entropy sensitive
  header fields can create vulnerabilities so such
  cases are most likely the ones to not compress today.
  Note though that the criteria to apply here may evolve
  over time as we gain knowledge of new attacks.

OLD
  We know that compressing low-entropy sensitive
  header fields can create vulnerabilities so such
  cases are most likely the ones to not compress today.
  Note though that the criteria to apply here may evolve
  over time as we gain knowledge of new attacks.
NEW
  We currently know that compressing low-entropy sensitive
  header fields can create vulnerabilities so compression
  of such fields ought to be avoided.
  This guidance may evolve
  over time as we gain knowledge of new attacks.

Thanks,
--David