Re: Naive question on multiple TCP/IP channels and please dont start a uS NN debate here unless you really want to.

2015-02-06 10:58:11

Jim Gettys <jg(_at_)freedesktop(_dot_)org> wrote:
    > ​What effect does this algorithm have in practice? Here are some examples:
    > o real time isochronous traffic​ (such as VOIP, skype, etc) won't build
    > a queue, so will be scheduled in preference to your bulk data.
    > o your DNS traffic will be prioritized.
    > o your TCP open handshakes will be prioritized
    > o your DHCP & RA handshakes will be prioritized
    > o your handshakes for TLS will be prioritized
    > o any simple request/response protocol with small messages.
    > o the first packet or so of a TCP transfer will be prioritized: remember,
    > that packet may have the size information needed for web page layout in
it.
    > o There is a *positive* incentive for flows to pace their traffic (i.e.
    > to be a good network citizen, rather than always transmitting at line
rate).

    > *All without needing any explicit classification.  No identification of
    > what application is running is being performed at all in this algorithm.*

This last part is I think the part that needs to be shouted at residential
ISPs on a regular basis.  I wish that the IETF and ISOC was better able to
do this... in particular to ISPs which do not tend to send the right people
to NANOG/RIPE/etc.

]     mcr(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on
rails    [