RE: [tsvwg] QoS and IP everywhere Was: Naive question

2015-02-09 10:41:47
IP everywhere does not mean that the difference between the network and the
inter-network goes away. Making
QoS happen inside a network and across an Inter-network are two very
different problems.

I agree - https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-diffserv-intercon/
recognizes this, and cleanly separates QoS within a network from what happens
at network boundaries, as does ...

Forgetting the distinction between the network and the inter-network gives us
a choice between only network layer everywhere or only packet layer
everywhere.

If we recognize the border, we might end up with a stack something like this:

ZServ:

A                                   A
T             Q <-|-> Q             T

Gee, this looks familiar - see RFC 2475 on DiffServ architecture, and in
particular the difference that it draws between classification functionality
that is appropriate within a network vs. at its edges (i.e., DiffServ
recognizes that border).  The DiffServ Intercon draft is trying to iterate
across networks, because DiffServ differentiation as currently deployed tends
not to cross network boundaries well.

Thanks,
--David