Re: [tsvwg] QoS and IP everywhere Was: Naive question

2015-02-09 11:20:09
On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 11:38 AM, Black, David
<david(_dot_)black(_at_)emc(_dot_)com> wrote:

 > IP everywhere does not mean that the difference between the network
and the inter-network goes away. Making

QoS happen inside a network and across an Inter-network are two very
different problems.

I agree -
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-diffserv-intercon/
recognizes this, and cleanly separates QoS within a network from what
happens at network boundaries, as does ...

Forgetting the distinction between the network and the inter-network
gives us a choice between only network layer everywhere or only packet layer

everywhere.

If we recognize the border, we might end up with a stack something like
this:

ZServ:

A                                   A

T             Q <-|-> Q             T

N <--> N <--> N <-|-> N <--> N <--> N

P <--> P <--> P <-|-> P <--> P <--> P

Gee, this looks familiar - see RFC 2475 on DiffServ architecture, and in
particular the difference that it draws between classification
functionality that is appropriate within a network vs. at its edges (i.e.,
DiffServ recognizes that border).  The DiffServ Intercon draft is trying to
iterate across networks, because DiffServ differentiation as currently
deployed tends not to cross network boundaries well.

Thanks,
--David

Well that is what is so frustrating about digging into the architecture.

It is obvious to me that we have to re-discover the difference between
networks and inter-networks to make sense of security. For years people
have been spouting nonsense about firewalls having no place on the net,
middleboxes are evil and so on.

What is missing from the IP stack is tools to let people manage their
networks. And one of the reasons those have been missing to date was that
they were the bit some vendors thought they would sell as their secret
sauce to enterprise customers.

But the enterprise isn't where the money is made, its consumer devices that
make the big profits. Take a look at the Apple market cap, bigger than all
the 'Enterprise' vendors put together.

Consumers are not going to be able to manage home automation networks
unless they have tools that make the process really easy. As in, when a box
goes wrong, the network management boxen tells them which box went wrong
with a picture of it.