Re: Gen-ART LC review of draft-ietf-nfsv4-lfs-registry-02

2015-02-16 12:47:36
Hi Tom,

On 16/02/2015 17:55, Thomas Haynes wrote:
On Feb 16, 2015, at 3:17 AM, Alexey Melnikov
<alexey(_dot_)melnikov(_at_)isode(_dot_)com> wrote:

Hi Tom,

On 11/02/2015 21:14, Tom Haynes wrote:
Hi Alex,

Thanks for the review.

Comments inline.

Tom

On Feb 11, 2015, at 3:51 AM, Alexey Melnikov
<alexey(_dot_)melnikov(_at_)isode(_dot_)com> wrote:
 [snip]
In Section 5:

Label Description: - what is the allowed character set for this field? Is it
ASCII? Is it UTF-8 with some restrictions?
    Label Description:  A human readable ASCII text string that describes
This is a good change.
This was the original text. :-)
Oops :-). I think you need to add a reference to RFC 20 for US-ASCII. It would also be better to say that control characters should not be allowed.
       in the registry.  The status field for most entries should have
       the value "active".  In the case that a label format selection
       entry is obsolete, the status field of the obsoleted entry should
       be "obsoleted by entry NNN".
What is entry NNN? Is it a document reference (e.g. An RFC)?
It is another entry in the registry. That new entry will provide the mapping to
a document reference.
Some registries allow obsoletion of entries which are just not considered to be
a good idea anymore. I don't know if your document should allow for that or not.
This registry does not consider worthiness as a criteria.
Ok.
Is it possible to obsolete without such entry?
No, Section 5.3 is clear on that.

In Section 5.3 - is it possible to update a label description document without
requesting a new label? For example if changes are editorial and don't
significantly affect label syntax and model.

Two considerations:

1) Edit of “Description” - I don’t see a problem with allowing this to occur.

2) Edit of “Reference” - Which is what I think you are asking about here.
I was asking about both.
If we consider IETF created RFCs, we know that a -bis is a legitimate need for
an update as it obsoletes the earlier RFC.

And if we consider non-IETF created documents, I think we need to fall back
Designated Expert reviewer to answer whether the new document requires a new
label or we can allow an edit.

This is rough, but I’d envision a new Section 5.4:

5.4.  Modifying an Existing Entry in the Registry

   A request to modify  either the Description or the published
   label format specification will also require the Specification
   Required IANA policy to be applied. The Designated Expert reviewer
   will need to determine if the published label format specification
   either

   obsoletes the Label Format Specifier - follow the process in Section 5.2.

   updates the label syntax and/or model - approve the change.
I like this.
Nits/editorial comments:
Best Regards,
Alexey
And Alexey, thank you very much for that last point, I think it makes the
document more complete.

I’ve applied the changes, let me know if you want to see an early copy of the
next version.
I am satisfied with your responses where new text was discussed and agreed upon.

Thank you for replying so quickly and doing the updates!

Best Regards,
Alexey