Re: Interim meetings - changing the way we work

2015-03-04 22:42:29
On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 1:23 PM, Benoit Claise <bclaise(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com>
wrote:
On 27/02/2015 16:03, t.p. wrote:

I see 'netmod' as a poster child for this with its issue list, state
machine for issues and so on.  Even though I was tracking the list when
the 'Ynn' issue list was created, I don't know where its state machine
came from.  In recent minutes, I don't know what
"  AB: I am not sure YANG 1.0 specifies C1 explicitly somewhere.
   JS: Does A3 not follow from A2?
   KW: A3 is more a corollary of A2.
   AB: The high-level problem is how to create and maintain the
       information needed to achieve A4. "

is about; a brief search of mailing list and I-Ds gave me no explanation
for A2 to C1.

And what about an email to the NETMOD mailing list, asking this question?
How is this any different than meeting minutes on a physical meeting, on
which you would have a question?

IMO Juergen does a very good job of recording the minutes of every
NETMOD interim.
Here is the header from those minutes (that were taken out of context):

* YANG 1.1 Conformance
** https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bjorklund-yang-conformance-problem-00

This clearly indicates that the notes are about the draft identified above.
These identifiers A1, C2, etc. are in the draft.

The NETMOD and NETCONF WGs have been extra careful about
getting verification on the WG mailing list before proceeding with proposed
changes that originate in VI meetings.

Regards, Benoit

Andy

And if a different group of engineers works on different topics, then
they will likely, in the absence of any guidance, use different
technology, different terminology and end up with a way of working that
is as alien to the first group.

As I said, changing the way we work.

Tom Petch
</tp>

--Tom

Lou

If you want a real example of how this can actually work, watch Anees

explain how Open Config has done this with just weekly phone calls and a
bunch of people typing on keyboards. They've done this in less than a
year, and have rough consensus and (production) running code.  This is
how the IETF used to operate: people got together, hacked code and got
things working.  The goal was not having meetings, but producing code
with rough consensus.

https://code.facebook.com/posts/1421954598097990/networking-scale-recap

--Tom

Yours,